Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kubb

I made it to California! I'm at my brother's, my laptop is in safe hands at the customercare hospital run by my old friends Ed and Andrew. All is well in the world.
To top it all off I learned how to play Kubb. Legend has it that it's a type of chess game dating back to the Viking age, but we don't know. My brother's good friend Gary is the one who introduced the game to the family here.
Here is the playing field:
Your men are lined up at one end of the field and the opponents' men at the opposite end, the king placed in the middle. The object of the game is to throw your stick at the opponents' men without hitting the king. It's a lot harder than it looks.
We were cheered on and encouraged by our spectators, cousin Brady and his friend Corle:


My teammate Blake and I were way too serious about the game, and so our noble opponents let us take the field. Here is nephew Taylor's friend Julia surrendering the king:
We are the shamelessly jubilant viking victors...

16 comments:

Mimi/Susan said...

Hoorah! You're home. Looks like you're settling in well.

L'anglaise. said...

Heehee! Looks like fun! If you're at your bros' you're not far from my aunt and uncle... enjoy!

alleykat said...

so who's your aunt and uncle?

Anonymous said...

The Viking blood obviously runs stronger in these veins than Little Brother's.

Extrem4 said...

Welcome home. Well at least to one of your homelands. I have heard of this before and have wanted to try it. Looks like fun.

Laura Jelinek said...

That is a very popular game here in Sweden and Finland. I'd never heard of it b4 I got here. But now I've sent one to my family so maybe they'll get hooked:-)
Enjoy your time there!

L'anglaise. said...

my aunt and uncle are Scott and Adelle! :-) My mom was a Norcross before she married a Welshman and moved across the ocean!

Anita said...

been waiting for the 1st CA post! Happy you're there!! Nope, never did hear tell of this game but looks like you had a blast! Enjoy every second of CA!

alleykat said...

My brother is married to Adele's sister...

Laura B said...

Yay! Trude is home in good ol' California. Hey Anita, now you can call her, "Trude Out West." :) I am at Fred and Sally's place, by the way. :)

Diane T. said...

Welcome stateside!!! Looks like a game that I might like.

Anonymous said...

Great Viking hat! Looks stolen from a Spartan at the point of a spear! Nearly cut our thumbs off making that Kubb set. Vikings Drool! uh...I mean Rule! I see that the Vikings figured out how to turn the playing field to keep from climbing into the blackberry vines to get the sticks back. Now that was crafty.

Gary Myers said...

I also see nasty 'ol Louie in the background getting ready to defile the royal Viking battlefield.

Unknown said...

Welcome home, Miss Kat! The Viking hat is a nice touch. Maybe we'll get to see you hither or yon during the upcoming season. That would be great.

jay are said...

that sounds like a great game. I definitely want to find out more. I know where to go!

Ethel said...

my husband is very interested in this game..sounds really fun! never knew there was such genius in my genes...looks like you're having a blast! welcome to the USA