Monday, November 3, 2008

The forming of a nonconformist

In my infamous bellybutton post, (after which my parents nearly disowned me and Anita had to do overtime counseling) I mentioned leotards, or tights, or whatever we call them. In our house we said 'strømpebukse'. And like I said there I had to wear them and they were a sagging-down type of a garment. I also had a beautiful hand knitted sweater made for me by my mormor. I'm pretty sure she had made it. Anyway, I wore that sweater to school one day, (this was kindergarten – first semester). My fashion conscious classmates got the message across to me that it was not cool to wear hand knitted sweaters to school...it was so un-Barbie...or whatever. So I went home and explained to my mom that I'd be needing a new sweater because I wouldn't be wearing that one anymore. Also I needed a lunchbox with the Monkeys on it with a matching thermos. So my mom told me how special it was to have a hand made, hand knitted sweater made by mormor far away in Norway, and that if I was the only one to have such a beautiful sweater of course that would provoke jealousy in kids whose grandmothers couldn't even knit. They were lucky if their grandmothers could crochet afghans.
Thereafter I wore my sweater, and many other garments with defiant pride. It is interesting to remember that Mrs. Pyland, our kindergarten teacher read us a story about a little boy who had special hand made socks which he wore to school and was mocked by his classmates. It seems he also was an overcomer.
Oh yes, and I decided that I didn't want a stupid lunch pail either.

4 comments:

Diane T. said...

Appreciated your post and the belly button lint post. I sometimes need a link because I miss good stuff. Don't have time to read all the blogs, so check in once in awhile. Do I remember the baggy tights!!! I am always cold so now I love tights. Lycra has made a world of difference. Incidently it was 74 degrees yesterday. Haven't dug out the tights yet.

Diane T. said...

Oh yes, bless Mrs. Pyland. Would that all teachers were so compassionate.

Ethel said...

a good wise mom and an empathetic teacher...but, a very smart little girl!

Anita said...

that was a very memorable day... uffda.

You should see what they sell here in Warsaw! Footless tights. I'm so in love with them, I have to restrain myself from buying 5 in each color! I think you'd like them too... No Sag in them babies!

I knew your mom was a smart lady!