Friday, January 8, 2010

and we had Chrismas dinner


The holidays are kind of hard to ignore around here, Christmas, New Years and Easter come twice a year, just one week after the other, so Christmas was yesterday, again...New Years will be next week, on the 14th, so it's called the Old New Year, it's because of the old calendar system they used to use, I can't explain it any better than that.

So a week or so ago I was walking down the sidewalk looking for someone to sell me an iPhone battery (almost impossible) and I nearly tripped over a little old lady who was selling a duck, right next to her was a young woman selling cranberries, so knowing I would need comfort food since there were no batteries to be had, I bought the duck and the berries.  The duck did not come included with a shopping bag, all good shoppers here are supposed to leave home with a shopping bag...since I wasn't planning on buying anything bigger than a battery that day I had no shopping bag.  I don't like to shop, so I don't ever have shopping bags on me...
I offered to pay good money for the ripped holey bag the duck came in, but now, that grandma told me to be off and buy my own bag, in tones which I recognized were not to be argued with, so anyway, I got home and we eventually baked this duck.


We made some very nice stuffing to stuff it with before baking it, but come to find out the duck was stuffed when we bought it!  See all the nice stuffing?


We had delicious Danish Red Cabbage, a recipe from my Danish friend, Evelyn.

10 comments:

Ange said...

Ha ! I really liked the stuffing we made far more than the stuffing it came with!!!! This duck knew how to put his foot in his mouth ... or somewhere else!!!!

Ange said...

The cranberries were beautiful... too bad we forgot to serve them for dinner!!!!

alleykat said...

they were delicious tonight anyway!

Ange said...

oh yeah!!! the bags... now I hear... "don't use that bag in the garbage... that cost a "grieven" :)

alleykat said...

hahaha the bags, yeah you need to carry them around to get your money's worth.

Mimi/Susan said...

Don't know how that cabbage tastes(?taste's, ?tasted), but it sure is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuffing! I'm sure those parts are all tasty when prepared right, yikes, I'm sure our dogs would go for it without any fixing!

Anonymous said...

oh by the way that was me, Becky B. Hi to all!

Anonymous said...

I can savor the red cabbage.. but what did you stuff it with. I guess you really did get this off the sidewalk. Did you put the duck in your back pack?
Lori

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious!! I can just hear that lady telling you to go buy your own bag! how did you carry the duck home...or could it still walk?! ;-)

ps: duck is served as a treat in France (not an everyday meal, but still quite regular) and i like it...but then i don't see its head!! :-(