Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ingeborg Ludvigsen

This is Lysvoll, the hotel where our great grandmother worked. I superimposed her onto the picture. I made it faded out because it's from a bygone era. It looks better that way I think.

The house where our dad grew up in Stryn was in between the road and the river. In the summer the river had salmon in it, but no one was allowed to fish the salmon, because the fishing rights had been sold to rich tourists.


My grandfather was Peder Bergh. He told a story to my parents about when he was a little boy. Peder's mother, Ingeborg Ludvigsen Bergh was from Bergen, a big city on the west coast of Norway. She had once been to England and worked for Queen Victoria's lady-in-waiting. That's probably when she learned to speak English. She also accompanied this lady on a trip to Boston. When she returned to Norway she opened a little guest house. She also started an English school. She also had other jobs, one job was at a hotel for rich guests and tourists who came to fish in the river.

One of those who came to fish in the river was king Håkon, Norway's first king in modern history. Little Peder Bergh was out playing by the river, and somehow got a fishing hook caught in his poor bottom! King Håkon put Peder over his knee, and helped him get the nasty fishhook out of his bottom.



This is king Håkon, he came from Denmark's House of Glücksburg in 1905 with his wife and baby boy to be Norway's king after the union with Sweden was dissolved.

4 comments:

Mimi/Susan said...

What a beautiful setting! And is the gentleman your g'father or the king?

alleykat said...

It's the king, I'm looking for a picture of my grandfather when he was a little boy, there's one around somewhere, I think my aunt has it.

alleykat said...

that's right, it was Queen Victoria, not Elisabeth

Anita said...

is that the place where we had lunch? Or am I just making that up?