Sunday, January 18, 2009

Serenity without Sudafed?

In case anyone remembers, my first post ever was the Sudafed song...I've searched for balance and harmony with my inner sinus for years. I've crossed continents with pockets full of used Kleenexes. I've been held up in customs while the Kleenexes and throat lozenges of my pockets have been sorted studied and returned to me with a wary eye of the border guard upon me.
I've heard lots of sinus remedies from various places. An unidentified grandmother type person told me that when her kids sinuses plugged up she would trickle the baby's own urine into the poor kid's nose. Oh dear, well I googled this practice and came upon some material of very dubious origin and foundation, one blog's author was a certified N.U.T. (Natural Urine Therapy). I prefer the salt water lavage treatment myself!
Well now I have one more thing to add to my lore of natural medicine; it's raw onion. I had terrible laryngitis all day yesterday until I ingested about an 8th of a raw onion. I'm leaving out lots of interesting details in consideration to my queasy readers, and I was too out of breath to take pictures of what came up from my larynx, but I think I'm a true believer on raw onion! Did you know it kills salmonella, that's why we always have onion in a hamburger.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My Mom always said a good dose of castor oil would fix just about anything...either that or a mustard plaster, although she gave Dad 3rd degree burns on his back the first time she administered one...needless to say, we missed very few days of school...it just didn't seem worth it, and I always suspected that was actually her whole point.

Diane T. said...

Hey, we have used sliced raw onions next to the bed for stopping a cough at night. It does work better than any cough medicines.

alleykat said...

Interesting Diane! Avis was always full of interesting knowledge...things just like that!

Laura B said...

You never know what you will come across on Trude's blog. I laughed at the mental picture of the border guards sorting through your "stuff."

Ethel said...

like your new blog layout...hope you're feeling a bit better...do you smell like an onion now?