Monday, September 29, 2008

the Atlantic Highway


We traveled north over a week ago to get up here. The trip was beautiful, and we had nice sunny weather.
The roads here are really nice, instead of going around or over mountains there are lots of tunnels. Some of the tunnels have replaced ferries, they go under the ocean floor. There used to be lots of ferries, but now there are bridges that connect the islands. The road we took from Ålesund to Trondheim goes over the Atlantic Highway. In the picture you can see the bridges and the land fill used to connect the islands. It would have been nice to go out and walk around there, but instead I hiked around on the web and found some nice pictures. They were from tourist sites, so I guess it's ok for me to use them here to advertise further.
I took some pictures too; they are here.

1 comment:

Anita said...

that road looks downright freaky...

speaking of highways- did you know that the highway from Droho to Lviv was built for the 1980 Summer Olympics which were held in Moscow? The Olympic torch travelled (from the Western Ukr border?) up to Lviv and on. When I asked where the torch came from- like, where was it before?... the taxi driver just said, "The Olympic Torch"... "for the Olympics"... I finally gave it up. (I'm still not sure why he couldn't understand the question. I felt like I was speaking Mermish to a troll...