Monday, September 8, 2008

Housekeeping for the homeless by the homeless shall never perish from the hearth

Instead of going out for a run at 0600 this morning I decided to use my
time and energy to sleep in, I really needed it because we nearly got
booed out of town last night, and we had to stay up late to get it out
of our system that we are unpalatable and unappealing to certain
audiences. There was an unhappy drunk woman who came in last who vented her spleen all over us after we finished. A jog would have been nice after that, but we went to a
friend and ate ice cream instead!
There is also a certain catharsis in cleaning house. We've been
breathing and living here for a week, combing our hair and generally
raising the dust. Each time the dust settles there's more of me in it
every time, so I'm decreasing, but it's unfortunately only the dust
around me that's increasing.
My mom has some very nice housekeeping equipment, I should have
photographed it while we were still there, but our tools here are pretty
good too. My mom told me that since men became equal with women in
Norway and started helping out in the house, that house keeping has
gotten lots easier. Now there are disposable mop heads and disposable damp treated
paper cleaning cloths available in the stores. It's a lot easier to start cleaning when you don't
have to start out with a grungy rag or a mop full of last week's crud
and old gray hares...if you know what I mean and pun intended, so as not
to gross you out my gentle readers.
Ya, so I did our 2 rooms and hallway and bath in less than an hour
likely, then I combed my hair; OUTSIDE.
Oh another housekeeping tip my mom shared was if you don't have time to
clean before Christmas, just put an open container of a bit of bleach
under the furniture in each room. That clean aroma hypnotizes people
into believing that dust bunnies are really cute and appealing.


This is the entrance to the annex where we stay; it's under the garage.


I like these windows that open inside out so you can get lots of fresh air.


And this atavistic urge I fulfill from time to time...one of my earliest memories is from before we left for the states; watching my grandmother roll up the rugs to take them out, and I think of her every time I do this.

2 comments:

Anita said...

truly, a work of art... I'll have to go look up ummm, that one word... umm, atavistic ... you proly really just made it up. likely.

I hope you got all that spleen off of yourselves...

Laura B said...

There is a book you need to read...I'll try to find it for you...called, "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson. It is exceptional, and is about itinerants keeping house. Sound familiar?

All quiet on this western front, learned today that the Shetland Islands are more Norwegian than Scottish.