Monday, September 15, 2008

fishing in Hundeidvik



Here we are on the ferry. As we were in line watching the ferry chug into the landing, we saw one of the crew come storming off the ship with a fishing pole. During the few minutes which cars disembarked and when we drove onto the ferry this opportunistic fisherman managed to haul in 2 mackerel! My uncle Arnstein is a retired ferry captain so I made sure to tell this story when we got here last night. In reply he and my cousin Håvard took us out in their "Fering". It is a very cool wooden rowboat. He says the boat is so steady in the water that he can sit out on it's edge to haul the net in without fear of capsizing it.
This is uncle getting ready to cast the net. We were hoping for crab...

Here is my cousin, Håvard, he's home on leave from the military this week.
After we came in from casting out the nets my uncle told us that it's bad luck to have women along in the boat when you cast out...so we wondered if there would be anything in the nets or not the next morning...

4 comments:

Anita said...

How fantastic is it that you get to see all your family?!

Going for some insight... (and failing, I know)- I never knew you liked to fish so much!

alleykat said...

I often have a dream that I have a fish on the line! I can always feel the JERK, then I wake up, usually in a land locked country...but not here on the fjords!

Anita said...

at least you have fjords... so no inferiority complex! :)

alleykat said...

I don't get it? fjords instead of fish, but we have both, no crabs though...not goyle either