Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Avalanche

My dad was born in Stryn on September 12, 1936. The next day, September 13, 1936 a devastating avalanche wiped out 2 villages; 73 people lost their lives; whole families where wiped out. I know of one survivor, a baby crib was caught in a treetop and and in the cradle was a little baby boy. My brother went to school with this man's son perhaps 27 years ago. I've heard this story all my life, and yesterday we went out to the site of the disaster.
Bødalen og Nessdalen

I uploaded my picture to picasa, there should be a link here for you to see them if you want.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Hi, I am one of those lurkers who has never commented so today I will say hello.....I did meet you the year you were at Bonners Ferry ID. I loved the pictures on picassa and enjoy glimpses into your every day life. I have a son in a foreign field and it just brings such a closeness to see others in the same work. There are many similarities tho he is in South America. We just finished our convention here. So very wonderful!

alleykat said...

thanks Joyce, for stopping by! Glad you like the pictures, does your son blog as well? :)