Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Balloon payment

I've been wondering now about an offer I had back in 1983 to invest in real estate. The plan was to pay a reasonable sum every month, then after a period of some years there was to be this big, seemingly insurmountable and huge payment to make. It seemed scary to me at the time. I had other prospects in view as well, so I passed up the opportunity to make payments on real estate in the San Fransisco Bay Area. Now I'm wondering if I had gone for it would I have been one of the ones guilty of the present economic crisis?

3 comments:

Anita said...

I don't think so. The real estate market back in the early 80's (that's when my parents were buying their property and it was a bad time), as I recall, was tough going. I think it was more the 90's when people really started doing crazy things. I might be wrong about this... someone else may come along and say otherwise- that'd be nice to know. I think it's more likely you'd have been scammed at the time by the 'sellers' in some way.

Anonymous said...

I have just caught up on your posts...I really like the fishing ones in the north sea. Cool...more than the water! Like the others too!

Anonymous said...

You would have made payments for a predetermined amount of time and
then at the end of that time you would be paying a LARGE payment to
satisfy the debt.
Thats similair to the deal with these folks that lost their homes in
the latest crisis.
Some signed up for payments at x amount for b amount of time. After b
came and went then they were liable for payments with inflated
interest rates. Deal breakers for sure!
Glad you went the other route.
Brother Bergh