Friday, May 16, 2008

Impulse buying gone wrong

I already had an attitude when I walked in, cuz none of this was my idea, but I had a sample of what we needed 7 meters of in my pocket, and this was a plus in a situation where I'm on the other side of a city I'm unfamiliar with, and not sure if I can find my way back to where I belong - especially if I have 7 meters worth of the sample which is in my pocket.
The only positive aspect of the situation I find myself in is that I've always wanted to go to a building supply store here in Ukraine and this place is like a Home Depot. These places where you can walk around and look for stuff you want and then put it into a shopping cart are new here, well something new in the last 5-6 years. Also they are full of guards who make sure you don't shoplift. The first thing I saw when I walked in was the back of Igor's stubborn square head, his jaw set at an obstinate angle just daring anyone to just try to get past him with out paying for 7 meters worth of stuff to nail your screens to the window with, (what's it called?) well that super store has a lot of cool stuff and one thing I picked up was an insolated coffee cup with a lid. I don't really need it, but only 20 grivens! But as I carry it around the super store looking for my window sill sticks I find that I need this cup less and less. Finally I find a kid who works there..."no we don't carry that" this always makes me unreasonably mad..I came all the way across town to THIS store and you have disappointed me, but at least I have this cool cheap cup, but I don't even want it anymore. But I pull out my money at the cash register. The girl there looks at the item and says, "there's no price code on this, go run ask the clerk for the price code." By now I hate the store and I'm never gonna drink out of this cup, so I say, "no, I'm going to and leave the cup at the register and head out of there. This is Igor's cue to jump into action since finally someone is leaving the store without paying for the merchandise! I deftly avoid him and head home to take a bath in the laundry basket. Am not posting that picture though...
Now you can please email me to tell me if you'd rather NOT get these posts delivered to your inbox. When I get to a real computer I can disable you from my dimension.

1 comment:

Anita said...

hey you- I'm really sorry to hear that your Ukie 'home depot' experience was so woebegone... I mean, you've been wanting to get inside one of them for a long time... poor kid. And no cool coffee cup even. Well, proly Norway has way cooler stores and way cooler cups and way cooler home depot Igors... proly... AND Norway has fjords- remember?

oh- you can keep sending them to my inbox if you want. Don't need to since I subscribe to your rss feed and instantly get every post you do... but it's up to you. Hope you're having a good weekend...are you in Crimea? *jealous*