Monday, May 5, 2008

Many travels

I've come a long ways Virginia Slims, and still on the road. Anita and I are on the bus on the way to a gsp mtg. I have my earphones on with music turned up full blast nearly to overwhelm the sounds of murder coming from the movie on the front of the bus.
On the way down here I had 3 consecutive nights on the train, the last night was on the top bunk in the open carriage. It was unusually uncomfortable because my mattress kept wanting to slide off the bunk, which made me feel like I'd be sliding off right along with it. I'd use my two feet to grab the corner that was dangling in the face of the passengers sitting on the bottom bunk, but that would nearly precipitate debilitating foot cramps. So you may ask why I didn't just sit up and yank it with my to hands at the end of my own two arms, well there isn't enough space up there to do that. I can just imagine folding myself into the shape of a paperclip and THEN getting debilitating foot cramps.
I managed to extricate myself from the top bunk in the morning and then spend the rest of the trip sitting at the feet of the grandma who remained reclining on the bottom bunk. After a phone conversation with Anita I became part of the general conversation...'are you a teacher or a translator? I saw you reading that Agatha Christy book last night...I always think there's got to be something strange about a person who likes to read about how to murder people...' oh wow, well at least I just read about it I've never committed any murders, I guess I should just have read my bible on the train last night then I could torment you about the need to repent for your soul's salvation...I thought all those things before I put in my earphones to drown out the thoughts of murder from the screen inside my head.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Well it all begins and ends with earphones, music and murder.

*trying to think of something overwhelmingly clever to say...and failing*