Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rape of Ukraine

The Ukrainian flag has a band of blue under a band of yellow. It symbolizes " a blue sky under a golden harvest"
We see this out of the bus window now as we drive past the cannola (or rape) fields.
In times past Ukraine was invaded by neighboring kingdoms; many young girls were kidnapped and taken away across the Black Sea to spend the rest of their lives in harems.
In our day here we see advertisements and posters recruiting women for western based marriage agencies. Something else we see is posters offering to buy hair. They pay by the centimeter. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that young women is Ukraine's most exported and exploited product.

6 comments:

Anita said...

That is a thought-provoking post. I like the connections you made.

By the way- it's proly a golden harvest under a blue sky... or a blue sky above a golden harvest... I would just suspect.

alleykat said...

now what do I do? should I go in and CHANGE the post, or just leave it???
It's more postericle to leave it.
By the way I reserve the right to make up my own word here, after all it's my blog

Anita said...

postericle?

is that kin to icicle?

or what?

alleykat said...

is a derivative of posterity, nothing to do with posters or icicles

Ethel said...

so where is alleykat originally from? Norway? i'm usually checking in on anita but your blog is very interesting too!! i love making up words and yes you can cuz it's your blog!!

alleykat said...

alleykats by definition are without pedigree, but maybe it was my "kofte" that gave it away?